Take the “Heart Healthy” stairs. As many of my regulars massage clients can attest to, my new room is at the top of the stairs – OMG, what was I thinking. When I was first invited by friend Mary to see the new private spa, she did take me up the stairs. I think I was so elated with how wonderful this new spa is and how happy I was to have a massage work space twice as large as my previous place; I must have floated up those stairs. I barely remembered that there were any stairs there at all!
SALUD = To Your Health
Stair climbing strengthens ones respiratory system; lungs and heart. Your hear will grow stronger while your lungs gain more small air sacs called alveoli. This will allow you to pass more oxygen throughout your body. A stronger heart allows you to rapidly deliver the oxygen-enriched blood to not only your muscle fibers, but to any and all tissues. As a result, you’ll feel better, because you will be healthier. A healthier body has greater immunity, so you may not get the common colds or flu as often. The likelihood for developing chronic health problems such as Type II diabetes and high blood pressure will be significantly lowered.
Enjoy the benefits of taking the stairs everyday:
- No special equipment is needed
- Stair climbing can be accumulated across the course of the day, making a significant contribution to the recommended 30 minutes of daily physical activity
- There is a significantly lower risk of mortality when climbing more than 55 flights per week
- Stair climbing requires about 8 – 11kcal of energy per minute, which is high compared to other moderate level physical activities.
- Active stair climbers are more fit and have a higher aerobic capacity
- Even two flights of stairs climbed per day can lead to 6 lbs of weight loss over one year
- There is a strong association between stair climbing and bone density in post-menopausal women
- Climbing stairs can improve the amount of “good cholesterol” in the blood
- Stair climbing increases leg power and may be an important priority in reducing the risk of injury from falls in the elderly
- Stair climbing can help you achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- Stair climbing can help you build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints.
Coming to TLC Medical Massage to revitalize and relax will now have additional benefits. Every time you climb my flight of stairs, your body will release chemical endorphins, a type of neurotransmitter, making you feel happy and calm. Over time, your ability to focus and concentrate will improve, and you will feel less stressed out. Your self-esteem and self-confidence will improve as you successfully meet your fitness goals, become more toned and muscular, and are less distracted by physical fatigue.